Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Money, money, money (Alessandra)

Just got off the phone with a woman from my high school class to remind me about the significant reunion happening this summer.  All laughs and cheers and fun fun fun and then a solicitation for money.  God I hate that.  My high school is famous for its multimillion-dollar endowment.  I told her with a smile, that I wasn't giving anything. Nothing.  And then I felt like a fraud because I expressed interest in going, yadda yadda yadda.  Not realizing these reunion nostalgia trips are basically fundraising events. I've never gone to a reunion because I basically communiate with everyone I had ever wanted to, everything else is just morbid curiosity, like rubbernecking a traffic accident.   

 I'm not totally cheap: I do give money to charity, but if it's a choice between helping the third world get some medical attention and seeing that political prisoners aren't left to rot in jails or whether the golf team gets new Titleists, the choice seems pretty clear, you know?  I guess I'll never be in that preppy corduroy old boys club that gets your kids into Yale or your husband some Master of the Universe job.  Whatevs.  I just have a really bad taste in my mouth right now.  

4 comments:

L said...

I had forgotten you were a prep school girl. Damn, now I can't talk to you anymore...

Alessandra said...

Why don't you come with me to the reunion as my hot lesbian wife?

Marty said...

I am MUCH more suited to be the hot lesbian wife...but I think I would burst into flames if I walked into a prep school...it's in my contract.

Alessandra said...

Oh puleez miss governor's school.