Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ask and Ye Shall Receive... (Marty)

Dear Sisters --

I am so sorry about your losses...
Linda, to lose two women who meant so much to you so close together...I cannot imagine.
Alessandra, my silent struggler -- you didn't let us in on the depth of your pain, but I understand why. I am glad you finally have an outlet for it.
As for me, loves, health is currently an issue for both of my parents; I fear, I fear, I fear.

HOWEVER -- I have been asked for levity...and levity ye shall receive. You are just not going to believe some of the things I have seen since moving to South Carolina...

1) ONLY IN SOUTH CAROLINA. Sunday night, out in a new bar that has free pool on Sundays. There is a gentleman with long blonde hair, in black pants and black shirt, wandering around. I thought he was a musician, as the stage in the place was lit up like a Christmas tree (in early November). Having never attended this particular bar, and it having a reputation for live music...you see where I'm going. I witnessed another man with an oxygen tank walk into the bar; I thought it strange for a such a man to be in such a smoky place; until I saw him go up to the bar -- remove his oxygen -- and smoke a cigarette. Any sympathy I had for him dissolved at that moment. Trying to shake the image, I dragged my posse over to a table near the front of the stage, where there was a jacket hanging on one of the chairs; upon watching me approach the table to sit, the gentleman in black appears at my side to take the jacket. He informs me that... a wedding -- *his* wedding -- will be taking place shortly -- in the bar. On the stage. With whatever strangers happen to be in attendance. Well I promptly bought the man and his bride (blonde hair flying in her royal blue sequin dress) a drink, of course! And then sat and watched the nuptials between shots on the free pool table. (I must, for the sake of my soul, mention what sweet people they turned out to be, and I ended up just being happy for them that they had found each other and could afford a small ceremony in this horrendous economy.)

2) ONLY IN SOUTH CAROLINA. This part of the state is famous as much for its farmer's markets and vegetable stands as for anything else, but so many of them close up this time of the year, they're hard to find. So I'm in Murrells Inlet, scouring the place for marshside restaurants and the like, and stumble across a year-round farmer's market, called "Lee's Farms." As soon as I walk in I'm greeted -- loudly -- by a fat bald man behind the register with a New Jersey accent. He tells me all about the place and how wonderful everything is. He tells me his name is "Sketch." He also keeps asking me question after question, not really letting me answer before continuing on to the next. He tells me he's a pastry chef. I ask him which of his desserts is his favorite. He says he is diabetic and has never tried any of them. I ask him how he can vouch for them. He tells me he is "Bald Steve" from the second season of "Hell's Kitchen." I tell him I used to live in Trenton. He tells me he was in prison in Trenton. I say, I don't care, you're here now. He says I wasn't really in prison in Trenton, I was in prison upstate. I ask him if he'll make a dessert for Marion's birthday. He says he's going to be hunting deer all weekend in the middle of the woods with his boss, Skeeter. Turns out Skeeter's last name is Dombrowski and all I can think about is "Grease" from then on out. Feeling that I would shortly lose all composure, I buy some tomatos and make a quick exit. But I know I'm going to go back there...I mean, how could I not?

3) ONLY IN SOUTH CAROLINA. And really? This is just to rub it in...it is currently, as I type this, 72 degrees here on the beach. It was 70 yesterday. It was 71 the day before that. It promises to be 72 and sunny tomorrow, 70 and sunny on Saturday, and 69 with sprinkles on Sunday. So, um...WHEN ARE YOU VISITING???

As for me, I have auditioned for and been cast in my first South Carolina show, "Later Life" with the Murrells Inlet Community Theatre. I almost didn't go to the audition. The first question most of my Raleigh theater friends ask is, "As an old lady?" Strangely I don't know how old my character is; but I do know that this thirty-something born-and-raised southerner was cast for...are you ready? my perfect New York accent.

Love you both muchly and fiercely...

4 comments:

Alessandra said...

Marty I think you are a wierdo magnet. Seriously, scientists should study you. I think freaks can sense you're one of them although you pass among the norms quite well.

maybe next year in S.C.? Can we build fires and sing show tunes?

Alessandra said...

p.s. i feel like the oxygen tank guy i am taking my multivitamin with some syrah ....

L said...

What's syrah? Not sure if calling Marty a weirdo magnet is the way to lure me to S. Carolina...btw, you're right, she's a total weirdo magnet. Maybe she's just a magnet in general, but the weirdo stories stick with us. Maybe it's her boobs, they are forces of nature...

I wish I watched that cooking show to be properly impressed. I have a friend who does, I'll tell her.

Alessandra said...

Syrah is wine. Or as you call it in Maine, red beer. What is the way to lure you to S.C.?